Robert “Bob” Schoultz
- Founder, Fifth Factor Leadership 2013
- Six years directing the University of San Diego M.S. in Global Leadership Program
- Thirty year career as an officer with the Navy SEALs
- Extensive experience in leadership, management, and education in the U.S. Navy
- Fluent in German; proficient in Spanish
Vision & Goal Setting ~ Experienced Educator ~ Results-driven
Specialist in Leader and Team Development
Certificate in Entrepreneurship, Stanford University Ignite for Veterans Jul 2015
M.A. in National Security and Strategic Studies Naval War College Newport, RI 1996 (graduated Highest Distinction)
B.A. in Philosophy Stanford University Stanford, CA, 1974
Director of Master of Science in Global Leadership Oct 2005 – Dec 2011 School of Business School Administration, University of San Diego, San Diego, CA
- Directed a 31 credit graduate student curriculum focused on developing business leaders in the global market. Emphasis on ethical leadership, cross-cultural issues in business strategy. project management, and best business practices.
- Significantly increased program quality. From 2005-2011, nearly double enrollment and doubled tuition income to USD
- Created local business leader MSGL Advisory Council; created study abroad program (China, Europe, Argentina); Developed co-curricular activities in local business community
Director of Leadership and Character Development May 2003 – May 2005 US Naval Academy Annapolis, MD
- Oversaw all Leadership and Character Development programs at the US Naval Academy.
- Initiated Character Leadership Internship program with National Outdoor Leadership School.
Naval Special Warfare Group Commander 1998- 2000
- Commanded all East Coast Seal Teams, and Support Units based in Europe and Latin America. Oversight over seven different commands.
- Responsible for $28 million annual budget and all planning and prioritizing of resources for East Coast SEAL Teams and overseas units
Additional Navy Leadership Experience
- Senior Military Assistant to Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations/Low Intensity Conflict, 2000-2002
- Chief Staff Officer of Special Operations Command Europe in Stuttgart Germany, during Bosnia conflict and numerous contingencies in Africa 1996-98
- Faculty at Naval War College, First Special Operations Chair 1994-96
- Commander, responsible for all SEAL/Special Boat operations in Latin America 1992-94
- Conducted combat operations in Operation Just Cause (Panama) 1989; Supported combat operations in Desert Storm (1991,) Bosnia (1995)
Instructor and member Advisory Council, National Outdoor Leadership School May 2005-present
- Initiated NOLS – US Naval Academy program which as of 2015 over 1000 midshipman have done 3 ½ week NOLS courses and currently ¼ of USNA midshipmen participate in NOLS courses.
- Co-led four NOLS courses for USNA midshipmen 2006-2010
- Initiated and co-led NOLS Executive Leadership Expeditions 2011, 2013 thru 2018. Currently planning and recruiting or Executive Leadership Expedition for 2019.
- Lived for between 6 and 24 months in: Germany (3 times), Panama, UK, Indonesia.
- Conducted military training and operations throughout the world, primarily Europe, Latin America, and Africa.
- Visited China with USD 2006, 2007, 2008 (Shanghai and Beijing) and presented at the Global Leadership Conference in Shanghai in 2007
- Comfortably fluent in German, comfortably conversational in Spanish.
SIGNIFICANT TEACHING/EDUCATION EXPERIENCE
- CCIM Leadership Academy Feb 2014
- C2 Financial Corp “Commando Leadership for Top Producing Realtors Jan 2014
- Multiple Vistage International CEO sessions in San Diego and Canada in 2013,2014, & 2015.
- Currently on the All American Leadership Consulting Company’s team of instructors and consultants.
Teaching accredited courses at accredited Universities:
- Naval War College 1994-1996 Operational Art, Theory and Practice of Special Operations Employment, and Counter-Insurgency history and theory
- Naval Academy 2002-2005 Ethics for Military Leaders
- University of San Diego, Master of Science in Global Leadership 2006-2015: Ethics for Global Business in Master of Science in Global Leadership
- University of San Diego, School of Business Administration 2016-present Business Communications and Strategy in Master of Science in Global Leadership
Certificate and other Programs:
- Taught multiple sessions entitled Leading from the Middle for Customs and Border Protection Leadership Institute sponsored by University of Md.
- Center for Civil Military Relations at the Naval Post-graduate School 2004-2012,a variety of classes from Military Ethics, to Strategies for countering Terrorism to Columbia Case study.
- National Outdoor Leadership School 2005 – present. Leadership, First Aide and other theoretical and technical skills associated with leading others in the outdoors.
Innovator in Hybrid and On-line Education
As director of MS in Global Leadership program at USD, introduced dramatic enhancements in use of technology and computer based online learning to create the top hybrid (classroom and online) program at USD and arguably in Southern California. Initiated on-line lecturing, web-based collaboration between faculty and students, to include training programs for faculty and students. Significantly improved student evaluations of faculty performance using technology and on-line tools.
- Chapter “The Role of Institutional Leadership” in Global Responses to Maritime Violence: Cooperation and Collective Action edited by Paul Shemella, Stanford Security Studies 2016.
- Chapter “Ethics and Combatting Terrorism” in Fighting Back: What Governments Can Do about Terrorism, edited by Paul Shemella Stanford Security Studies 2011
- Chapter “The US Navy SEAL Culture – Power, Vulnerability and Challenge” in Psychoanalytic Studies on Power and Vulnerability Edited by Halina Brunning Karnac Books 2013
- Numerous case studies in a variety of books on military leadership (available upon request).
- Contribute a regular essay (ten to date) on Ethics and Leadership to the Naval Special Warfare quarterly magazine Ethos. http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seals-ethos-magazine.aspx Three time award winner for commentary from the Chief of Naval Information
- Write a regular blog on leadership and other topics, entitled Bob’s Corner: http://bobscorner.wordpress.com As of Apr 2019, 65 posts with over 45,000 views.
EXPERIENCED PUBLIC SPEAKER
- Keynote presenter to Wells Fargo Oct 2018
- Keynote presenter to Deloitte International Sales team Mar 2015
- Keynote presenter to LA Dodgers Player Development program Jan 2015
- Keynote presenter to Oracle and Deloitte coordinated sales conference July 2014
- Keynote presenter to RouteSmart International Conference May 2014
- Keynote presenter to Higher Education Risk Management Conference Univ of Texas April 2014
- Guest Speaker to CCIM Leadership Academy Feb 2014
- Guest Speaker to Unbeatable Mind Academy Retreat Dec 2013, Dec 2014, Dec 15
- Speaker at The Honor Foundation NEXT speaker series
- Keynote presenter to US Strategic Command Forum Apr 2013
- Graduation Speaker to SEAL Basic Training Graduation ceremony June 2011, Dec 2013
- Keynote to Global Sales Managers Meeting for TW Metals Jan 2013
- Guest Speaker to Rainforest Architects Workshop in Silicon Valley Jan 2013
- Keynote presenter to the annual convention for the International Society for the Psychoanalytic Study of Organizations June 2012.
- Note: That presentation became the basis for a chapter in the book Psychoanalytic Essays on Power and Vulnerability, published in 2013
- Opening Keynote address to DoD Returning Warriors Workshops 2008-2014
ORGANIZATIONS & AFFILIATION
- President, Old Frogs and SEALS, San Diego
- Director, Leadership Development, All American Leadership
- Instructor, National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS)
- Member, Rotary International, Rotary Club of Coronado,
- Member, Board of Advisors, Zikl